The shoe giant is going to settle down with his alpacas in a trailer park in Las Vegas.
Grow your business, Not your inbox
Stay up to date and subscribe to our daily newsletter now!
3 min read
Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos, built a billions of dollars worth of shoe empire. Now he's preparing to step back and retreat to a trailer park in Las Vegas, where he lives with two pet alpacas named Marley and Triton.
Hsieh, 46, announced his retirement as the company's CEO after 20 years at the helm. A graduate of Harvard University, Hsieh joined the company called ShoeSite.com and helped it become a shoe superpower. Zappos was sold to Amazon for $ 1.9 billion in 2009.
Related: 10 Examples of Companies With Fantastic Cultures
Sin City Champion
Hsieh, a major Las Vegas sponsor, invested $ 350 million in revitalizing downtown and developed Container Park, which features a fire-shooting praying mantis in the entrance. Hsieh also created a trailer park called "Llamaoplis", a converted parking lot with 33 tumbleweeds and an airstream. Hsieh lives here with his hay-eating friends.
Under Hsieh, Zappos is known for their friendly and indulgent customer service, including a return policy that gives customers 365 days to return their shoes (assuming they're "like new").
“Buying shoes online can be a daunting process for people to begin with,” Hsieh said in 2003. “However, Zappos held up when other dotcoms failed because we deliver the best customer experience, such as B. Free shipping both ways. Although free shipping of orders and returns cost us more, we have been able to keep our customers longer. "
Here are some other words of wisdom from the shoe wise man:
1. "There is a big difference between motivation and inspiration: Inspiring by values and motivation takes care of yourself."
2. "Have fun. The game is a lot more fun when you're trying to make more than just money. "
3. “For the individual, character is destiny. For organizations, culture is fate. ”
4. "We believe that most other things, like great customer service or building a great long-term brand or empowering passionate employees and customers, will happen by themselves if you have the right culture."
5. "Don't be cocky. Don't be conspicuous. There is always someone who is better than you."
6. "People may not remember exactly what you did or said, but they always remember how you made them feel. That is the most important thing."
7. "If someone has ever interacted with an alpaca, you know that you just can't help but laugh."
Related: 20 Motivational Quotes To Inspire Your Next Business Idea