(L-R) Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and Chairman of the Army General Mark Milley hold a year-end press conference at the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia on December 20, 2019.
Drew Angerer | Getty Images
WASHINGTON – The Pentagon said Friday there had been no changes to the Department of Defense's state of alert as the world responded to news of President Donald Trump's positive coronavirus test results.
"The US military is ready to defend our country and our interests. The readiness or ability of our armed forces does not change. Our national command and control structure is in no way affected by this announcement," Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in an explanation.
Trump announced early Friday that he and First Lady Melania Trump had tested positive for the coronavirus. The announcement came hours after the president announced he would initiate a quarantine process after top aide Hope Hicks tested positive for coronavirus.
Next up for the presidency, Vice President Mike Pence and his wife Karen have tested negative, the White House said later on Friday.
Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs General Mark Milley met with Trump on Sunday at the White House for a Gold Star Families event. Esper tested negative for coronavirus again on Monday and Wednesday. Esper, who is currently completing an international trip, will take another test on Friday.
Milley, the nation's most senior military officer, tested negative on Friday morning.
Other Pentagon leaders were also in attendance Sunday and have since tested negative: Army Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville; General Charles Brown, Chief of Staff of the Air Force; Air Force Secretary Barbara Barrett; Chief of Space Operations Space Force Gen. John Raymond; and Marine Corps Commandant General David Berger.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who is also traveling, said he was given a test for coronavirus that was negative. Pompeo also told reporters traveling with him that he would continue his plans to travel to Asia on Sunday.
Health experts say that even if the test is negative, it is advisable to isolate for 48 hours after exposure.